Gifted and Talented Showcase Event
– On Monday 6th July we will be welcoming our Gifted and Talented students and their parents to a celebratory, showcase event that will take place between 3:45 pm and 4:45pm. The event will start with a reception in the LRC, followed by the showcase event in our Theatre to see the work that our Gifted and Talented students have produced this year. All of our students in the ‘gifted cohort’ have had the opportunity to attend an enrichment day, designed to extend their knowledge and skills. These have included a visit to the Lowry, a day at Lancaster University with special talks, working with scientists to build rockets and a technology day where students designed, made and pitched a product to Oulder Hill ‘Dragons’! Students have worked very hard in completing the activities and we are looking forward to sharing some of these with parents. As well as sharing in students’ achievements we will enjoy some performances by our talented musicians, dancers and sports stars.
Oulder Hill Careers Fair
– We will be hosting the Oulder Hill Careers Fair in our Sports Hall on Wednesday 8th July. Students are invited to attend from 10:00am – 3:00pm, and Parents/Carers are welcome to join us from 3:00 – 7:00pm. There will be the opportunity for discussion with outside providers, including local sixth form colleges; local universities; apprenticeship providers and the Army and RAF, regarding career opportunities and entry requirements, as well as receiving information, advice and guidance on chosen career paths.
Years 7-10 Boys’ Cricket
– Well done to the Year 7 & 8 Boys’ Cricket team who beat Matthew Moss in the semi-finals of the Rochdale Schools Cricket Competition. Oulder Hill batted first and scored 95 runs from 16 overs with star man Mohid Ul-Haq scoring the majority of the runs. Matthew Moss were then bowled out by Oulder Hill for 46 runs, with Mohid Ul-Haq taking the majority of the wickets with some fierce bowling. Other wicket takers were Saud Zahid, Muzamil Bashir, and Harry Toogood. Joint man of the match goes to Mohid Ul-Haq and Muzamil Bashir for outstanding bowling performances. The final will be against Hollingworth and we will bring the result of this match in a future column. Well done to the players involved: Harry Toogood, Muzamil Bashir, Zain Iqbal, Zaki Bowden, Fawaaz Ul-Haq, Mohid Ul-Haq, Tommy Coleman, Naeem Hussain, Mohammed Anwar, Saud Zahid, Shehryar Qureshi and Aadam Latif.
– The Year 9 & 10 Boys’ Cricket team have also made it to the final of the Rochdale Schools Cricket Cup Competition having beaten Falinge Park in the semi-finals. Oulder Hill won the toss and chose to field first and limited Falinge to 46 runs, thanks to some very economical bowling from Ben Whitehead, Anees Khan, Daniel Cryer, Brandon Kwei-Sutcliffe and Thomas Booth. The main wicket takers were Anees Khan and Ben Whitehead who bowled some extremely quick deliveries at the Falinge Park batsmen who had no answer to their pace. When it was Oulder Hill`s turn to bat the opening pair of Daniel Cryer and Brandon Kwei-Sutcliffe knocked off the runs required in under 15 minutes, scoring many impressive fours and sixes along the way. Man of the match was Brandon Kwei-Sutcliffe for a superb all round performance with the bat and ball. Well done to: Daniel Cryer, Brandon Kwei-Sutcliffe, Thomas Booth, Anees Khan, Lewis Midgley, Emmerson Bradshaw, Marcus Welsby, Rayhan Iqbal, Omar Javid, Ben Whitehead and Danny Devine.
– The finals will be held at Rochdale Cricket Club: Years 9 & 10 on Thursday 9th July, start 2:30pm. Years 7 & 8 Wednesday 15th July, start 2:30pm. Anyone wishing to watch the finals would be most welcome and the students involved would love the support! Thank you to Mr Pickles for his involvement with the cricket teams.
Year 10 Girls’ Rounders
– The Year 10 Girls’ Rounders tournament was held at Hollingworth last week. Oulder Hill played two matches against St. Cuthbert’s and Hollingworth and were unlucky to lose both matches. Our girls were a credit to the school and worked really hard. Well done to: Samiya Karamat, Sophie Charlton, Olivia Storto, Moet Griffiths, Ella Hilton, Zara Ahmed, Stacy McKinley, Katie Fitton, Shannon Doyle and Brooke Strudwick.
Year 4 International Day
– The annual year 4 International Primary School day took place at Oulder Hill on Tuesday 23rd June 2015. On the day one hundred and thirty pupils from our partner primary schools took part in International activities and lessons, including Italian, German, Portuguese, Pétanque, Japanese Art, Technology and Bollywood Dancing. This annual event allows Year 4 students to visit Oulder Hill and experience activities which otherwise they may not get to do. The children had a fabulous day, as did our wonderful staff who led all the activities brilliantly. Well done to everyone involved.
Inspiring IAG Gold Award
– Oulder Hill have recently achieved the Inspiring IAG Gold Award, which recognises the good practice in careers education, and the collaborative work between the school and outside agencies. Thank you to all those who worked hard to achieve this accolade, which was awarded on Monday 29th June.