This Week’s Theme:
– Be Responsible
Eid Al Adha – Thursday 24th September
– Rochdale Council of Mosques has announced that Eid Al Adha in the UK will be on Thursday 24th September 2015. Oulder Hill will be open as normal, with students celebrating Eid being granted one day’s authorised absence on the Thursday, any additional days absence will be unauthorised. We wish everyone celebrating Eid a blessed day.
– Anna Kershaw, a Year 8 student, recently competed in the National Youth Development League Athletics Finals in Birmingham. Children from all over the United Kingdom took part, coming from as far afield as Edinburgh and Southampton. Anna distinguished herself as the youngest competitor involved in these Games and came away with four medals. She won gold in the 75m Sprint and achieved silver medals in the Shot Put, the 70m Hurdles and the 4×100 metre relay. Anna runs for Sale Harriers and is trained by Sprint Coach Patrick Bell and for Hurdles and Shot by Commonwealth Games Bronze Medallist Jess Taylor. This is an absolutely fantastic achievement by Anna, one of which she should be very proud of as is the school. We will continue to support Anna and we are looking forward in years to come to seeing her name on the team sheet competing in the Olympic Games.
– During the summer holidays, Isobel Meikle, a Year 11 student, competed in Sheffield at the British National Swimming Championships and came tenth in the 200m Individual Medley in her age group. She also competed in the English National Championships and came first in the 400m Individual Medley in her age group, a brilliant achievement. Well done Isobel!
– Congratulations to Hannah Mills in Year 10 who has been selected for the Lancashire squad at Rugby. Hannah was successful in the trials she participated in over the weekend. This achievement is even greater considering that she only started playing Rugby a year ago, as a result of the All Schools programme that Oulder Hill has successfully adopted under the leadership of Mr Bardsley.
Extra-Curricular Activities Update
– Film Club has now been expanded to Thursday lunchtimes and starts after school from Thursday 1st October.
– School Production – Grease rehearsals have commenced with an even larger dance crew thanks to the Year Sevens.
– Friday Prayers are up and running in F24 after school on Friday.
– Maths Homework Club begins on Monday 21st September in F14 (Mr Burki & Ms Ogden).
A full list of all the available extra-curricular activities for students is available on our website (http://www.oulderhill-school.com/students/extra-curricular-activities/)
– Our next “Drop Everything and Read” (DEAR) session takes place during tutorial on Thursday 24th September. The aim of DEAR is to create a culture of reading for pleasure and to eradicate the stigma attached to reading. Students and staff will be taking part, and they will be encouraged to read from a variety of materials including books, newspapers and magazines.
Monday 21st September – Year 7 Photographs
Tuesday 22nd September – Boys’ Dance Workshop
Wednesday 23rd September – Year 10 G&T Trip to Lancaster University
Thursday 24th September – Drop Everything and Read (DEAR)
Thursday 24th September – Year 10 Drama – Oldham Theatre Workshop
Friday 25th September – European Day of Languages
w/c Monday 28th September – Year 11 German and Italian Speaking Assessments (Two Weeks)
Monday 28th September – Year 11 Art Sculpture Day
Wednesday 30th September – Years 9, 10 & 11 Rambert Dance Workshop
Thursday 1st October – Key Stage 4 Matters Evening – 6:00-8:00pm
Thursday 1st October – Years 9, 10 & 11 Lowry Theatre Visit
w/c Monday 5th October – Year 11 German and Italian Speaking Assessments (Two Weeks)
Monday 5th October – Year 10 Art Trip to Whitworth Art Gallery
Monday 5th October – Year 11 Geography Controlled Assessment Trip
Tuesday 6th October – Year 7 Form Tutor Review Day
Tuesday 6th October – Year 7 Matters Evening – 6:00-8:00pm
Friday 9th October – Year 10 Drama – Oldham Theatre Workshop
w/c 12th October – Year 11 Science Coursework Catch Up (All Week)
Wednesday 14th October – Immersion Day
Wednesday 14th October – Year 7 Freddie Fit
Wednesday 14th October – Year 8 Girls’ HPV Vaccinations
Thursday 15th October – SEND Drop In – 3:00-6:00pm
Thursday 15th October – Parent Forum meeting, 6:00pm, LRC
Thursday 15th October to Sunday 18th October – Languages Trip to Rome